Tuesday, March 31, 2015

The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

N.K. Jemisin

This book is great. It starts out as your classic "Hick from the country is suddenly heir to the kingdom what do", and becomes so much more. A story of captive gods, beautifully characterized. Honestly, Jemisin's gods are one of the book's huge strengths. They are utterly godlike, and utterly flawed, and honestly brilliant.

Not a lot actually happens in this book. If you're looking for Epic Fantasy, look elsewhere, although the fate of the world does happen to be at stake. This is about one person, one family, and the actions in one palace.

There is a lot of "intrigue", but it is by no means a political intrigue book. I'm honestly not sure what category to put it in.

The concept is great, the writing is mostly good. There are occasional moments of brilliance, and even more occasional mild burrs in the writing that pop me out of the story for a second, but the bad ones are minor, and the brilliant ones are truly great. But it's really the character's that make this the story it is. The characters, and the gods.

Also, I hate that this is significant enough that I feel obliged to mention this, but the protagonist is a black woman. If you're looking for diversity in fantasy protagonists (which is kind of abysmal I'll be the first to admit), this is a great place to look.

I would recommend this book to fantasy readers, or those who are interested in exploring what the genre has to offer. I'm trying to think of what books are like this, and it's certainly not easy. If I come up with something, I'll edit it in.

This is a complete trilogy, and the second and third books are both excellent. I'll write them up at some point. There is an accompanying novella which is also quite good.

And that's all for the Hundred Thousand Kingdoms ladies and gents.

-Leo

No comments:

Post a Comment